Remodeling a home can be challenging even for the most talented individuals. Even if you’re thinking about hiring an interior designer to help bring everything together, make sure to do some homework first. This can help your designer balance your decor with your lifestyle, the mood of the room and the architectural features to ensure that every detail fits into the scheme. Here are just a few apps you can download to your device to get started.
If you have trouble articulating your preferred look, try snapping photos of rooms that you love. These apps will help you get inspired and find your style.
- Pinterest: This app is great if you need to sort through a lot of styles and ideas. Between its nearly never-ending pages and ease of pinning your favorites to specialty-curated boards, it’s the easiest way to organize all your thoughts around a project.
- Houzz Interior Design Ideas: Available for iPad, iPhone and Android devices, you can browse photos by style, room and location. You then can share your favorites with your design professional or save them to a private idea book. The application also features curated idea books from other users and industry professionals that cover home remodeling, decorating tips, house tours and DIY tutorials. You also can buy furniture or accents right on the app, so it’s really a one-stop-shop!
- HGTV Folio: HGTV is an endless source of inspiration with all of the houses and rooms that have been broadcasted. With the app, you can explore, save, note and share favorites in your personal design guide. You also can get instant access to popular HGTV shows and hosts.
- Olioboard: This iPad app allows you to create interior design mood boards and it comes pre-loaded with over 10,000 items from over 300 brands. You can search for items by color, brand, category, price or even upload your own favorites. The drag and drop interface makes it easy to rotate, scale, frame or crop your pictures.
When you meet with your designer, they should ask you what items, colors and styles resonate best with you. Don’t just focus on what you like best but also what you don’t like. This can help narrow down your choices. The following are some apps to help you make these decisions.
- Benjamin Moore Color Capture: This app allows you take any color inspiration you see from your surroundings and match it to one of Benjamin Moore’s colors. You can save colors and combos to your favorites or access the full-spectrum color wheel to search for complimentary matches. It is available for iPhone and Android.
- paintingWalls Pro: If you’ve ever considered painting a room but you can’t visualize what the whole space will look like from just one swatch or test sample, this is the app for you. All you have to do is take a photo of the space, and you can toggle between different colors. The basic version is available for free and the Pro version is $2.
If you are starting from scratch, try to involve any professionals as early as possible in the building process. This way, everyone involved can be be on the same page.
- Master-Design Furnish: For those with more advanced knowledge of interior design, this app allows you to draw your rooms and furnishings and obtain a rendering for them. You can look at an aerial view, choose the finish on your furniture and snap a picture. Projects can be imported into other Master-Design applications and shared with your interior designer.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out some of our models set up at our communities. Our interior designers create beautiful layouts!
- The Preserve at Alafia located in Riverview, FL
- Ridgemar Commons located in Gainesville, FL
- The Pavilions at Monterey located in Palm Bay, FL
- Cypress Winds located in Bradenton, FL
- Pennington Pointe located in Marietta, GA
- Reserve at Ridgewood located in Sandy Springs, GA
- Collins Crossing located in Carrboro, NC